Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The complexity of morality. So what?

All over this country and world, I hear people telling other people that the choices they make are "immoral" or "wicked," and that governments should prevent such behaviors from happening. But here's the rub: who are these people to think that society should run by THEIR definition of morality and wickedness? Who gets to decide what is and is NOT immoral or wicked? Whose code do we use? Which religion? Which book?

My own moral code does NOT come from a book a bunch of men wrote thousands of years ago and a bunch of men today interpret as they see fit. I'm an atheist. That already makes me wicked to many.

My code comes from the observations from my own life and the lives of people around me -- it comes from seeing what brings love and brings goodness into people's lives. I value honesty and responsibility -- commitment and stewardship. I believe that everyone has a right to make their own choices, even if I think those choices are wrong or bad or immoral or wicked, as long as those choices do NOT jeopardize the personal welfare and equal freedoms of the rest of society.

I could make a HUGE list of the behaviors I see in others that are "immoral or wicked" by my code or that aren't good for society (in my humble opinion) such as:
  • having more than 1 child in a day and age where our planet is overpopulated beyond control.
  • smoking
  • owning hordes of guns
  • plastic surgery
  • getting drunk
  • cheating and lying
  • NOT recycling
  • fundamentalists who think there is only one way for every human to behave, and it's their way
  • controlling the views and lives of your children or spouse
I and people like me could call for legislation against all the above. And maybe someday we will.

Again I say someone thinks someone else immoral or wicked? So what? EVERY HUMAN BEING IS DOING SOMETHING THAT SOME OTHER HUMAN BEING THINKS IS IMMORAL OR WICKED!! I would like these moral educators who point the finger to look at their own life choices and imagine the horror so many of the rest of us feel about those. Such individuals should be GRATEFUL that they're free to make their own choices, and that the rest of us are not actively trying to take their rights away.

Then maybe they'll get it and help us all protect the rights of everyone to choose their own moral codes and not have those legislated by one religious group!

The greatest irony is that in a society of free choice and speech, there will be people whose choices and speeches are about removing choice and speech from the rest of us. And yet we must let them talk and choose and hope(?) that in the end they don't win!

No comments:

Post a Comment